Sunday, April 21, 2013

First World Problems

 I know, I have not written a post in over a week now.Things were busy yes, but mostly, I didn't have anything that I was burning to report about. It was a relatively standard week. Now that I am beginning to settle into a rhythm, I think that the time will start passing much more quickly. That being said, you will probably have some rough days every week. For me, that is going to be every Wednesday and Thursday. Both days are just packed full with classes and activities and by the end my brain is whimpering in the corner of my head twitching at every Germanic word. At least the weather is nice. I am so glad that I came during the season that I did, if I had come during the winter I would have been a great deal more miserable. Spring and Summer weather help lift my spirits and let me take walks in the park to help center myself. For example, yesterday I rented a canoe with one of my roommates and his girlfriend and spent about an hour on a small river near the shop. Actually it was a mini golf course that rented boats. Extremely relaxing and I forgot my camera so I will just have to go again. Darn.

Speaking of roommates, just because you are in Germany does not mean that the people are radically different. I am still having some of the same problems with my roommates here that I had back in the states. Nobody wants to take out the trash, dirty pots that are left overnight, and who knows what else will come to pass. My point is, do not be surprised and just deal with it the way you always should. Talk to people and try and get a system worked out. It won't always work, but hey, nothing ventured nothing gained.

There is something else that caught me a little off guard. I came here knowing it would be different and that I would miss my home, but I was a bit surprised at some of the other things I miss. Naturally, I miss my family and my girlfriend, but I never thought that I would miss Taco Bell. A few days past, I had a real craving for tacos and they are nowhere to be found. There are dozens of Turkish and Chinese restaurants in the area but  absolutely no texmex. Shouldn't be to surprising but it sneaks up on you. Here is a little bit of warning for those of you coming from the states. Not all of the soda is the same. If you like Orange Fanta or Mountain Dew, do not, and I repeat, DO NOT try it here. They are radically different and the Mountain Dew jut tasted terrible. Anyway, short post this week. Be sure to post any questions you have in the comments of the blog and I will see you later. Guten Tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment