Sunday, April 7, 2013

Just a Few Paper Cuts


I know I promised to discus the differences between the classes here and in the USA, but I want to wait a week so that I can attend all of my classes and, hopefully, gain a better understanding of the distinctions. Instead, I would like to talk about another very useful tool available for anyone studying in Braunschweig. I have already thrown my vote towards the Goethe Institute and I would now like to take a moment to support the Peer Student Program. This is an option incoming exchange students can take when coming to Braunschweig. You simply sign up online by providing information about your length of stay, home country, hobbies, major, and a few other things, and they assign you another student to help you. From what I have seen, these students were often exchange students themselves. Their purpose is to help guide you through the maze of paperwork, confusion, and buildings so that you will settle in more smoothly. My Peer Student has been an enormously helpful. She has helped with the paper work, shown me around the city some, told me where to buy a bike, and been a friend in a new place.

Now I must discuss the bad, which actually has nothing to do with my peer student. The application process is far from perfect. I arrived in Braunschweig thinking that I would be given information once I was here. Then I found out that my peer student should have contacted me weeks ago and set up a time to meet me once I was in the city. This information came at the worst possible moment in the day and quickly sent me into a downward spiral of fear and panic as I wondered what else was not as it should be. I was fortunate enough to meat a very nice girl in the International Office who was already a Peer Student for some other exchange students and was willing to be mine as well. We still do not know why I was never contacted. I was on the list and for some reason, I was just never assigned to anyone. The lesson for anyone attempting this is simple. If you do not hear from a peer student shortly, then email them until you get a response. If nothing works, then try asking at the International Office upon your arrival. You might luck out like I did.

I mentioned before that the University offers a wide range of extra activities. These vary from rock climbing to yoga and even to archery, but, as always, their system is a little different. Here you must choose the classes you would like to attend in advance and register for them online. Once you register you receive an email with a verification number and bar code that you are supposed to print off and bring with you. This will be more important for some events, *cough* *Yoga* *cough*, but even if the even is full, I was told to attend and see if they have any last minute openings. I cannot recommend these activities enough. Last Thursday I found my way to the Karate group here. It was a great physical outlet, I get to work on my German in a new setting, I met new people, and I can continue to develop my skills. Many of my best friends  in Wyoming were people that I met in the Karate club; I see know reason why the same cannot happen here. If you don't have anything like this, choose something you were always interested in. Most of these classes are free after paying the student fees and the few that do charge are not very expensive. There is nothing to lose and so much to gain.

I would also like to take a very brief moment to discuss the importance of staying connected with home. You don't realize how much you depend upon those around you until they are gone, and it is very helpful to talk to them from time to time. Here is another thing to consider. Yes, you are very busy and yes, you are surviving just fine, but the people have no idea what is going on. They are no busier than normal and have all the time in the world to worry and wonder if you are safe. Find a way to let them know, even if it is just a blog, and I know they will appreciate it. You might be surprised how much it helps you too. I am working on getting more pictures. Been very busy and I don't know if I can keep up. Das ist alles. Gute Nacht.

1 comment: